Mazda RX-7, 1988-92
Convertible Top and Convertible Top Parts
The RX-7 convertible top rear windows are not made anymore. So you must re-use your glass window in its original framework. The window snaps into the frame, and the frame attaches to the new top.
We offer the Mazda RX-7 in Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl and also in elegant Haartz Stayfast Canvas. Here's what you need to know about each material before you make your purchase:
Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl: Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is a two-ply composite with a PVC outer layer and a cotton inner lining. Pinpoint refers to the little dots on the vinyl surface. The original Mazda RX-7 convertible top was very similar to Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl. Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is a popular convertible top fabric. In fact, this fabric is original to most American cars made before 1993. If you take care of a Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl RX-7 top, it can easily last 10 years.
Haartz Stayfast Canvas: If you're looking to upgrade your vinyl RX-7 top, consider a convertible top made of Haartz Stayfast Canvas. This fabric is the American substitute for the German canvases used in Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, as well as some Mustang and Lebaron models. Haartz Stayfast Canvas is a three-ply composite material made of an acrylic square-weave outer fabric, a butyl rubber core, and a cotton lining. The butyl rubber core promises to make Haartz Stayfast Canvas last a very long time. This canvas is a little richer looking than the vinyl. It's also a little harder to clean. Stayfast Canvas has both better static and dynamic wear ratings than vinyl tops.
The Mazda RX-7 uses drain hoses to direct water out to the fender wells, instead of into your trunk. We sell tops with or without new attached hoses, but generally recommend if you're purchasing a new top you should buy one with the attached new hoses. Though you can re-use your old hoses on your new top, the RX-7 tops with attached new hoses only cost $10 more than comparable tops without hoses. That $10 will save you the hassle of re-attaching your hoses, which can be a chore.
Rain guards are attached to the new top behind the door jambs. They attach to the drain hoses. New rain guards are supplied with our tops. Hoses can generally be re-used several times. They are listed with accessories if needed. If your hoses are shot you can order our top with new hoses pre-attached to save some labor. For the extra $10 that it will cost, that's what we generally recommend as re-attaching old hoses can be a hassle. Or you can order, separately, the drain hose attachment kit (new hoses plus accessories and instructions for full installation.)
Yes! Just keep in mind that the RX-7 convertible top design is unusual. Like most two-part tops, the RX-7 top features a front and rear section. But instead of integrating the two sections as is necessary with most convertible tops, the RX-7 front piece works more like a Targa top: A bar stretches across the top of the car. You attach the front section to its own frame and you attach the rear section to the top bar.
This type of installation makes the RX-7 convertible top one of the easier convertible tops to install. You will need to re-use your old window. Most Mazda RX-7 convertible top restorers are able to transfer the window section from the old convertible top to the new top.
Our Mazda RX-7 convertible top installation manual will walk you through Mazda RX-7 do-it-yourself installation.
We offer a 16 page 8 1/2 x 11 illustrated step-by-step installation manual. This is a step by step manual specifically for the RX-7 convertible top removal and installation. This was written especially for the first time installer and elaborates all removal and installation steps. The work involves stapling or tacking and the use of contact cement and a couple of rivets or metal screws. The most difficult part is the transfer of the rear window frame which is very doable for the handy person. The glass is installed by manipulating the window seal over the lip of the steel window frame. This involves a common procedure called "roping in." It is something that any auto glass shop can do.
We offer the headliner for the convertible interior roof. It includes the plastic section below the back window sewn in. Also included is sufficient yardage for the front section. The other plastic piece must be transferred from the old headliner. The headliner is listed with "Accessories." We offer replacement boots in leather grained boot vinyl. Our boot comes with the 15 tenax fasteners required.
Almost all manufacturers use Haartz fabrics. They may specify "heaviest weight" or "original replacement" in ways that seem reassuring. But they do not really tell the whole story. Please bear in mind that two things dominate, by far, the quality issue: (a) the manufacturing quality control in the factory that makes the top and (b) the care and thoroughness of the installation. There is a trade-off in weight: heavier is better for resisting tear through, but lighter is better for flexibility and abrasion from within that may arise from movement. Almost all our tops are a flexible medium density (36 oz.) fabric. Heavier is not better in most cases. Where it is, because of the top design, we will say so and the top will be made of the heavier vinyl.
- Sonnenland® is a German-made 3-ply topping made up of an acrylic twill-weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a polyester "dobby backing." The dobby backing is a knit-like weave original to many high-end foreign cars. Customers who value originality over cost often pay top dollar for Sonnenland, just to have that authentic "dobby backing," seen only when you look up at the roof of your convertible top from inside your car. Sonnenland canvas is a top-of-the-line material original to various Audi, BMW, and Jaguar convertibles, among others. Sonnenland Canvas can vary in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance, but all Sonnenland Canvas promises elegance and long-lasting durability.
- Twillfast®, also called Sonnendeck Canvas, is an American-made canvas - a cost-effective substitute for Sonnenland. Twillfast is usually a 3-ply topping (though some versions are 5-ply) with Polyester and/or Polyester/cotton backings. This material, original to certain Camaro, BMW, Mustang, and VW Beetle convertibles, among others, varies in terms of surface weave and/or weight for acoustic performance. Twillfast Canvas is identical to Sonnenland Canvas - elegant and durable - only it's less expensive. This is a top-notch convertible top material, one we often recommend to savvy customers who like a good buy and a quality product.
- Stayfast Canvas is an elegant, durable canvas original to cars like the Mazda Miata and the Nissan 370Z. Stayfast is commonly used in replacement convertible tops. Stayfast canvas has an acrylic square weave facing, a rubber inner-layer, and a cotton backing. As with other canvases, the rubber core gives the fabric long-lasting durability. Stayfast canvas is a sleek, beautiful canvas, usually less expensive than Twillfast, but it does not have the dobby backing offered in Sonnenland and Twillfast (Sonnendeck). Stayfast is a popular upgrade to vinyl convertible tops, and as with any canvas, is richer looking and has a higher wear rating than convertible tops made of vinyl.
- Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl is the most popular fabric. This vinyl design is original to most American cars from the fifties to the nineties. Pinpoint refers to the little dots or pips that you see if you look closely at the vinyl surface. European cars, such as the old Beetles and others also used pinpoint vinyl as the topping fabric.
- Chrysler Sailcloth is featured on many late LeBarons, Sebrings, certain Mustangs and other cars. It is structurally (wear quality) equivalent to the Haartz Pinpoint but has a different surface grain. The grain was designed to imitate the look of canvas. As you can see from the scan of this fabric, it is an exceptionally rich looking material. It is sometimes chosen for replacing convertible tops that originally featured pinpoint vinyl.
- Cabrio Grain is also structurally equivalent to the pinpoint. It has a pigskin outer grain vinyl as original to Volkswagen Cabriolets from 1984 onward and to Mazda Miatas and Mercury Capris.
- A5S German Canvas (Robbins) The 100% Acrylic Twill Weave Surface Cloth receives a special flame singing treatment to remove the fabric knap; and is laminated to Black 100% Polyester Dobby backing.
This is the original topping for Porsche Boxster and Cabrio convertible tops. 59 inches (150 cm) wide, made in Germany.
- British Bison Vinyl is the most popular British roadster convertible top material. It is American made Haartz leather grain vinyl and is an imitation of the British Everflex vinyl top fabric. The British Bison Vinyl convertible top fabric is often referred to as 'crush grain.'
- British Everflex Vinyl We are now pleased to offer British Everflex Vinyl for classic English tops. This is the original material used on British convertibles including Jaguar, Rolls Royce and many others. Imported from England, British Everflex vinyl is a supple vinyl with a rich appearance and is more durable than other vinyls. A good, less expensive alternative is Colonial grain vinyl. Colonial has the same texture but is less durable.
- HV Denim (also called Twill Weave Vinyl) is heavy duty sport material composed of a distinctive twill grain PVC outer layer and a polyester/cotton blend inside lining fabric.
- Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl A heavyweight vinyl that is often used on SUVs like Jeep, because the two-ply composite has the capacity to reduce noise by about 20 percent compared to standard vinyls like Sailcloth. The vinyl material is durable, promises long-lasting wear-and-tear, and resembles the sleek twill cloth commonly found on luxury convertible cars.
- Haartz Twillfast RPC This American-made canvas has a twill weave pattern and resembles German-made Sonnenland canvas. It is a great all-purpose canvas and, according to Haartz, is used on 99 percent of convertibles. It is stronger and more durable than Stayfast Canvas and offers more sound protection. Haartz rates Twillfast RPC as a mid-level acoustic product, compared to the low-level sound reduction offered on other top materials like Stayfast
Parts in this category (Mazda RX-7) fit cars for years: 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1992. Sours: https://www.convertibletopguys.com/convertible/862/1988-92-Mazda-RX-7
1986-1991 Mazda Rx7 FC3s S5 Coupe/ Hardtop Center Tailights Middle Assembly
$95.00Buy It Now4d 13h, $18.00 Shipping, eBay Money Back Guarantee
Seller:ana0478✉️(1,218)100%, Location:Orlando, Florida, Ships to: US & many other countries, Item:1336994389821986-1991 Mazda Rx7 FC3s S5 Coupe/ Hardtop Center Tailights Middle Assembly . MAZDA RX7 1986-1991 OEM FC3S NA T2 S5 Coupe/ Hardtop Coupe/ Hardtop Center Tail lights Middle AssemblyPARTS ARE FROM A 1990 COUPE TURBO2 ITS A 20 PLUS YEAR OLD CAR PARTS SOLD AS IS........Once you hit "buy it now" it's yours for good.I do not accept returns for any reason.PLEASE CHECK MY OTHER ACTIONSTHANKSCondition:Used, Returns Accepted:ReturnsNotAccepted, Manufacturer Part Number:Does Not Apply, Brand:Unbranded
PicClick Insights - 1986-1991 Mazda Rx7 FC3s S5 Coupe/ Hardtop Center Tailights Middle Assembly PicClick Exclusive
- Popularity - 403 views, 1.9 views per day, 210 days on eBay. Super high amount of views. 0 sold, 1 available.
- Price -
- Seller - 1,218+ items sold. 0% negative feedback. Top-Rated Seller! Ships on time with tracking, 0 problems with past sales.
403 views, 1.9 views per day, 210 days on eBay. Super high amount of views. 0 sold, 1 available.
1,218+ items sold. 0% negative feedback. Top-Rated Seller! Ships on time with tracking, 0 problems with past sales.
People Also Loved PicClick Exclusive
- Articulating john deere tractor
- Honda civic ls swap kit
- Discord nitro apk 2020
- Coleman coolers ebay
- Crf450l vortex ecu dyno
For $6,300, Would You Get The Drop On This 1988 Mazda RX7 Convertible?
Today’s Nice Price or Crack Pipe RX7 has a three-position top! That’s a pretty nest trick. You’ll have to see if its price puts you in the position to consider buying it.
When you think of famous ponies, what’s the first image that springs to mind? If it’s the Chincoteage Ponies of Assateague and Chincoteague Islands off the Maryland/Virginia coast, then you may just be my wife. She does love those ponies.
If however, your image of ponies actually involves aggrieved chickens then I’ll bet your favorite pony is in fact a pony car, Pontiac’s groovy F-body, a.k.a. the Firebird Trans Am.
Yesterday’s 1980 Pontiac Trans Am Turbo bridged the performance gap between old school displacement, and modern forced induction efficiency. Add to that all the Indy Pace Car replica decal-inization and you had yourselves a winner. Well, not quite a winner, at least not at the car’s $19,895 price tag. That proved too high a hurdle for this old pony and it fell in a narrow 52-percent Crack Pipe loss.
Back in the day, pony cars straddled a fine line between the plain jane family cars upon which they were based, and the full-blooded sports cars that they aspired to be. The difference usually amounted to the number of seats inside, some zooty styling, and perhaps their outer dimensions.
G/O Media may get a commission
The next generation of AirPods
Adds some of the features we saw come with the Pro like spatial audio support and water resistance.
Here we have a car that is unambiguous in its sports car pretensions. It maintains two seats, a convertible roof—more on that in a sec—and a rotary engine to provide the get up and go.
Here’s a funny thing; in the history of the automobile, that specific description can be applied to only two production cars. One is the 1964 - 1967 NSU Spider, the first production car to carry a Wankel engine. The other is represented by this 1988 Mazda RX7 convertible, to which the NSU passed on its rotary ragtop baton.
The second generation (FC) edition of the RX7 was the only one of the series to officially drop its top, and honestly, it’s generally the least loved model as a consequence.
Maybe it was the somewhat languid performance that dunned it? After all, 146-horsepower and 138 lb ft of torque isn’t all that much to move the RX7 convertible’s not insignificant 3,070 pounds. That’s 240 pounds more than the coupe had to carry. The convertible was about 30% less stiff than the closed car as well.
Okay, so it’s a little fat and maybe not as sporty as we would like, but as I like to say, fat dogs need love too. Plus, check out that roof! The RX7’s soft top goes three ways—up, down, and halfway in between. It’s like the Kama Sutra of convertibles! Not only does the top go down all the way, but it offers a glass back window in its soft rear-section, and a central hard section that can be removed for a semi-open surrey style. You’ll have to provide the fringe however.
That’s pretty cool, and just one of this ’88 RX7’s neat attributes. Another is its low mileage. The ad claims the car to have done just a hair over 50K. That’s pretty good for thirty years time. Other fun bits here are BBS basket weave wheels, stereo speakers in the headrests, and an overall clean appearance.
Luxury accouterments include power windows, leather upholstery, and a power antenna. Y’all remember back when cars had real antennas? The ad says the car does its best Yogi Bear impression, spending winters snoozing in a garage. It’s further claimed that the car has been ‘meticulously maintained.’
That’s what we like to hear. We also like it when, as is the case with this car, the title comes without issue, and the transmission comes with a clutch pedal. In fact, aside from it’s being an FC convertible, which not all that many people kitten to, this little Mazda seems to have it all going on. How much might that be worth?
The asking price is a cool $6,300, which by today’s standards is in that nether region between ‘what the hell money’ and ‘I could buy a real car’ kind of cash. The question for you—you knew this was coming—is whether this RX7 might realistically command that much. What do you think, is this one of just two models of rotary powered convertibles worth that $6,300 asking? Or, for that much is this a drop top that you would just drop?
Madison, WI Craigslist, or go here if the ad disappears.
H/T to onlytwowheels (again!) for the hookup!
Help me out with NPOCP. Click here to send a me a fixed-price tip, and remember to include your Kinja handle.
Car BuyingNice Price or No Dice
1988 Mazda RX-7 Cabriolet Hardtop Convertible Wankle Rotary
- Make: Mazda
- Model: RX-7
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: Cabriolet / Hardtop Targa Convertible
- Year: 1988
- Mileage: 75000
- VIN: JM1FC351XJ0108423
- Color: Red
- Engine size: Fuel Injected Wankle/Rotary 13B engine
- Number of cylinders: 2 rotary
- Power options: PIONEER SOUND SYSTEM w/CD & Cass, Rear Glass Window w/ Defogger, Only 80's Convertible to have Rear Glass Window, Body Designed to copy Porsche 944 at 1/2 the price, Head Rests in seats have Speakers!, Leather Interior/ Look like Recaro seats, Only 5,000 Cabriolet's released to USA, Wankle/Rotary is smooth and vibration free!, Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Windows
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: 5 speed Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Gray
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Options: Targa/Power Top/ Convertible/Glass Window, Wankle/Rotary 13B engine Two Rotors, 146 HP from only 13 cubic inches, Theoretical Redline 7,000 RPM (alarm signal), Factory Wind Deflector/designed by Mazda, FOUR WHEEL STEERING/ copied from Porsche, Factory BBS ALLOY WHEELS (German), CENTER LOCKING HUB (for BBS Wheels), FIVE SPEED Manual Shift, Factory Tonneau Cover, CD Player, Convertible, Leather Seats
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
Hardtop 1988 rx7
.1990 Mazda RX 7 Convertible - IS IT REALLY AS FUN AS THEY SAY?
- Bethesda reddit
- Bodega bay inn
- Jvc flats wireless
- Long raspberry pi camera cable
- Supernatural hunter journal
- Weber kettle pizza attachment
- Postage for postcard in us
- Say so dance in fortnite
- Power sound audio